Here we explain how and why we share third-party images online, describe the Creative Commons license we use to share the original contents of this journal and suggest how to cite us. For our commenting policy, please click here.
All third-party images reproduced on this journal are shared under Educational Fair Use.
We believe the Internet is an unprecedented educational tool. This online journal is a free educational resource created by international scholars with the aim of advancing the appreciation of comic art and the scholarship devoted to it.
For more information on Educational Fair Use, please see this useful checklist prepared by Columbia University Libraries.
For further information, see Carol M. Silbergerg’s “Preserving Educational Fair Use in the Twenty-First Century”, Southern California Law Review, [Vol. 74:617], http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~usclrev/pdf/074207.pdf [PDF].
All copyright of third-party content posted here for research purposes belongs to its original owners.
Why we share images and references under Educational Fair Use:
- The published contributions on this journal are legitimate academic work.
- The material used is directly relevant to the topic. Furthermore, it is essential to the topic. Since we deal with a visual art form, we need to show what we are studying.
- The sources used are always cited with complete bibliographical information, including authors’ and publishers’ names, where known and available.
- This publication is a non-profit educational resource.
- The amount of copyrighted material used is never excessive, complete works are never shared and it never affects, in any way, the market value of the original. (On the contrary!).
Unless otherwise stated all references to characters and comic art presented on this journal are ©, ® or ™ of their respective owners. No challenge to any owner’s rights is intended or should be inferred.
All the original contents of The Comics Grid are licensed under a Creative Commons License.
When citing individual articles, please include the name of the author, the title of the post, the name of this online journal (The Comics Grid) and the post’s permalink (e.g., http://www.comicsgrid.com/academic-fair-use/>), as well as the date in which you accessed it. Our ISSN is 2048-0792.
If you are citing us online, please don’t forget to link back to the respective post. Thank you!